Sugar’s Birth Story

Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone

I know I said that I was going to tell Sugar’s birth story the day after I posted Dilly’s…. but really you shouldn’t believe anything a pregnant woman says, hehe.  But the good news is I am gonna tell you all about it today!

And so I’m going to start the day before Sugar arrived.  On April 29th 2010 my mom and I took Dilly and the little boy she was babysitting to the Akron Zoo to celebrate Dilly’s 2nd birthday which is actually April 30th.  It was a super hot day and I huffed and puffed pushing Dilly in her stroller through the entire zoo.  I kept getting pains down really low but just assumed they were Braxton Hicks contractions because if I sat down or drank some water they would go away on their own.  I also never informed my mom because I was sure she would freak out and I was still two weeks away from my due date so what was there to worry about? That evening after Dustin got home from work I headed out to the grocery store and as I was shopping I kept feeling those same low pains, but this time they were causing me to stop and wait til they passed.  I still was oblivious to the fact that these could in deed be real contractions.  If you recall from Dilly’s birth story I never felt a “real” contraction because I had pitocin induced contractions which are the devil!  Anyhow… I got home, put away the groceries, and went to bed a little later.  I would occasionally wake up with those same low pains and as I lay there in bed I thought that maybe these “pains” were actually contractions.  Then I realized that it was Dilly’s birthday and I thought there was no way I could possibly be in labor.  But as Dustin got up to get ready for work around 6AM and I lay in bed timing what I then knew had to be contractions I could tell they were getting closer together.  Soon they were only a few minutes apart and I decided I better tell Dustin he needed to stay home because he was leaving for Pittsburgh – which is about three or so hours from home.

Let’s just say he looked at me like I was crazy when I gave him the news that I thought the baby was coming that day.  The first thing he said was that it was Dilly’s birthday like I hadn’t already thought of that, hehe.  And so I told him that since Dilly was still asleep to just stay home and I would drive myself to the hospital.  It’s only about three minutes away so don’t freak out!  By the time I got to the hospital, parked the car, and waddled in I was having trouble breathing through my contractions.  Someone grabbed me a wheel chair and pushed me up to the desk in the emergency room.  I explained that I *thought* I was in labor, but wasn’t 100% positive because of my previous birth experience.  I was then taken up to a triage room on the maternity floor…. on the way everything seemed so surreal.  Almost two years ago to the hour I was in the same place being wheeled up to the same rooms.  After I managed to get in a hospital gown I was checked to see how far dilated I actually was and to my amazement I was already at 3cm.  Since my water had not broken the nurse told me they were going to monitor my progress and if I progressed by myself without any intervention then I would be admitted.

So I called Dustin and gave him the news and asked him to come to the hospital because I didn’t feel like sitting in that tiny room by myself while dealing with the contractions that I definitely was having.  After my mom arrived at our house to watch Dilly Dustin headed over to the hospital – only one other person can be with you in the triage room so there was no point in anyone else coming to the hospital unless I was actually admitted.  And so Dustin arrived at the hospital and sat with me in the triage room….as I would grimace through the contractions he would smartly inform me that he wasn’t seeing any spikes on the monitor which was rather frustrating.  After about two hours I called the nurse back in to ask when I was going to be checked.  She told me that they had been watching my monitor as well but I did not appear to be in active labor to which I told her she had no idea what she was talking about because I had been contracting every few minutes for the past few hours and that I wanted to be checked.  Well wouldn’t you know it when I was checked the second time I was now at 5cm and so they decided to admit me.  That is when we called and let the family know that our second daughter was going to be born on our first daughter’s birthday.  Still so weird to me.

Since I was already 5cm when I was admitted I was asked if I would like to have an epidural immediately.  Since I was having steady contractions and they were rather uncomfortable I thought why not…. I had one with Dilly too and it just seemed like the thing to do.  However, the epidural did not go as smoothly as the first time.  Since I wasn’t in excruciating pain like I had been from the pitocin with Dilly I definitely felt the pain of getting the epidural.  After I laid back in bed I started feeling nauseated and my blood pressure dropped drastically as well as the baby’s heartbeat.  Nurses and doctors were running around like crazy doing I don’t even know what and then I vomited.  At about that point is when Dustin walked back in the room with my mom and they both told me I looked like a ghost.  Luckily I soon returned to normal, but that was enough to scare me pretty bad.  I was then asked if I would like to have pitocin to speed the day along and since I already had the epidural in I didn’t care because I wouldn’t be able to feel those devil contractions.


Dilly hung out with me a lot through out the day and since I had the epidural I was in a rather pleasant mood the entire time.  I did have some pain in my left thigh that was rather intense because Sugar was laying on a nerve and just wouldn’t move…. the nurses told me the pain would immediately go away once she was born and they were right.  After a few hours of just hanging out in the hospital with my family I was finally at 10cm and ready to push!  And my new awesome OB was there on time – yay.  I actually didn’t even start pushing til he was there…. once I was at 10cm they called and let him know and by the time the room was ready for delivery there he was.  And so it was my OB, the nurses, Dustin, my mom, sister, and Dilly all gathered around me.

I had already informed everyone that no matter what when I felt a contraction I was going to push.  My OB had my epidural turned down a little bit so that I would be able to actually feel my contractions instead of just being told when I was having them.  I had an oxygen mask on which I would breathe into and when a contraction would come I would take it off and push with all my might.  I would then put it back on and breathe easily until the next one would come.  During the contractions when I was pushing as hard as possible I would look at Dilly and she was clapping for me and yelling “Go Mama Go!”  Those claps and words of encouragement from my almost two year old little girl was all I needed to get through the labor.  After about 25 minutes or so Sugar crowned.  At this point I was told me OB was trying to tell me to wait through the next contraction because he was going to perform an episiotomy, but I was too focused.  My contraction came.  I pushed.  Sugar arrived at 5:36PM.  And I tore…. badly.


But the important part was my daughter was born completely 100% healthy with no complications whatsoever.  Dustin cut the cord.  The nurses wiped her down just a little, wrapped her in a blanket, and handed her directly to me.  And the tears flowed.  She was so beautiful. So perfect.  Her cry was music to my ears.  And if you read Dilly’s birth story you know why.


While I held my brand new daughter in my arms my OB stitched me back together and from what Dustin tells me it was not a pretty sight, but all I cared about was this perfect baby in my arms.  Sugar nursed right away like a pro and everyone, including her big sister, fell in love with her immediately.


I felt so thankful for a healthy and complication free delivery concerning Sugar.  I on the other hand had some very bad swelling from my tear and was in quite a bit of pain for a few days as well as having trouble going to the bathroom.  But I would do that a million times over to have my baby be perfectly healthy.  To not have to worry about them having fluid in their lungs and to watch them get their lungs drained for nearly an hour.  That is why I pushed her out as soon as I felt her crown and I wouldn’t change that for anything.  I absolutely love my OB and am proud to say he will be delivering Baby Harper #3 though I have some requests which will make that birth a bit different.  I plan to share those in another post sometime soon.

And yes I am still completely shocked that my girls were born on the same day exactly two years apart!  How crazy is that??  Dilly was born at 8:46PM and Sugar at 5:36PM – both on April 30th 2008 & 2010.

Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Sugar’s Birth Story

  1. Kay M says:

    I love new baby stories! I’m keeping my fingers crossed for your husband that the next one is a boy though.

  2. Dave N Tiffany Shanower says:


  3. That is such an awesome story!! I had a bad experience with my epidural, too. Scary stuff. So glad everything turned out okay. Your girlies are so adorable. 🙂

  4. amy says:

    Wow, What odds to have both your girls born on the same day just years apart! I am so glad you found an OB that you liked!

  5. Ashley T says:

    I had no idea your daughters were born on the same day! That is awesome!
    I think my tear with Hayden was just as bad as yours! So happy everything went great though!

  6. Sarah Jane says:

    Thanks for posting!! I LOVE birth stories and am glad this birth was better than the last, especially the doctor.

  7. That is so so awesome that they were both born on the same day! That’s crazy!! And YAY for an awesome birth experience this time.

    (And btw, you did it again… you made me cry, lol. My daughter interrupted while I was reading and asked, “why does it look like you are crying?” haha!)

  8. Amanda says:

    I am so glad to hear you got a much better OB! I will be interested to hear what the girls think about sharing a bday as they get older 🙂

  9. Tree says:

    Wow! I never knew your girls were born on the same day.. how cool is that! My oldest daughter and I also share a birthday. 🙂 And you’re right.. pitocin induced labor IS the devil! lol What a great birth story.. and you have two beautiful daughters to show for it.

  10. Quanda says:

    What a blessing to have two children born on the same day (different years). This is an incredible birth story. Thanks for sharing it. 🙂

  11. Pingback: Happy Birthday Dilly & Sugar | Happenings of the Harper Household

  12. Pingback: My Birth Wishes for Baby Girl | Happenings of the Harper Household

  13. Johanna says:

    How cute! My 10yr son’s birthday is April 29th, and my due date is also April 29th 2013! I am debating having them share a birthday especially with such a big age gap. My son is all for it now, but he may change his mind about it later!

  14. Beth Rees says:

    How special that they share the same birthday! I am sure if someone tried to do that it wouldn’t happen! Love it

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *