Months ago my sister had to do an art project for school which involved using my face to make a mask and so I helped her out. But I told her once my belly got really huge I would love to do a belly cast the same way and so last week we decided to finally do it. And so at 38 weeks pregnant we got to work.
The process was really simple. We cut the plaster strips to the right length to fit across my chest and belly. Covered the chair I would be sitting in with towels as well as my shorts. Rubbed my belly in vaseline so that we would be able to get the cast off once it dried. Then dipped each strip in warm water and laid them across my body. Courtney was in charge of dipping the strips and laying them across me and I would smooth them out. We really needed another package of the plaster strips because there were a few week spots in the belly cast when we were finished, but I just plan to grab another pack and thicken it up in those areas now that we are finished….
I will admit this whole process was a bit messy. But we had fun doing it together.
It took about thirty minutes or so to dry and when I was finally able to remove it this was our finished product.
You can see the weak spot above my belly button area that needs a few more strips applied. My plan is to fix that and then paint the entire belly cast and perhaps paint “Willow” across the belly or a monogram of her initials. I then want to take pictures of her laying beside it soon after birth.
Gosh, I just can’t wait to meet her!