Uncovering a Button Sized Danger in Your Home: Coin Lithium Batteries #BatteryControlled

Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone

HarperHousehold2

Have you ever given or received one of those adorable singing greeting cards?  I know my girls get a kick out of them and love opening and closing them over and over again. But what many parents don’t know is that there is something within that card that can pose a serious danger to their child.  That could even kill their child.  A button battery.  And that danger doesn’t stop with musical greeting cards.  There are many items in your home that may contain a button battery including mini remote controls, bathroom scales, flameless candles, calculators, watches, children’s story books and many more items that your child comes in contact with or can easily reach on a daily basis.  The problem lies in the fact that many parents don’t realize how potentially dangerous and lethal these coin-sized button batteries can be which is why I want to tell my readers all about The Battery Controlled.

813_612757772069785_2138877973_n

The Battery Controlled is an effort between Energizer and Safe Kids Worldwide to alert parents and other caregivers to the hidden dangers of coin lithium batteries.  Every year roughly 3,500 incidents of button batteries being swallowed are reported to poison control centers in the United States.  In fact in 2012 alone there were reports of 17 serious injuries and 2 deaths.  My hope is by spreading the word through The Battery Controlled that these statistics will begin dropping drastically instead of increasing like it has over the past five years.

The first step is to get educated on the facts of coin lithium batteries.  To understand why they are so dangerous.  To understand how quickly they can cause serious injury to your child’s body.  To know and practice the 4 S’s of coin lithium battery safety.  The best place to start is this very insightful infographic that has been put together by Energizer and the National Safety Council.  

 

Coin_Infographic_FINAL.jpg

If you’re still not convinced that button batteries could change your child’s life forever or that you could actually lose your child from that coin-sized battery I highly suggest watching Emmett’s Story.  In this video Emmett’s mother, Karla,  shares her families experience dealing with the life altering injuries that occurred after her son swallowed a button battery at one year old. 

I know that Karla never wants to see or hear of another child suffering through the same future that her son has been given and neither do I.  That is why I am doing my part to spread this information to as many parents and caregivers as I possibly can and I urge you to do the same. 

Please join me at the #BatteryControlled Twitter party on Tuesday, September 24th at 12PM EST where we will be discussing coin lithium battery safety.  Be sure to follow @theMotherhood, @CooperMunroe, and @theMotherhood25 for lots of trivia questions and prizes including five $50 Target gift cards!  Hope to see you there!

HarperHousehold2

Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Uncovering a Button Sized Danger in Your Home: Coin Lithium Batteries #BatteryControlled

  1. courtney b says:

    thank you for this post! my daughter is always finding things like this and putting it in her mouth….

  2. JR Frugalmom says:

    Wow, that’s so scary, and how awful to see the numbers have risen so much. Thank you for this informative post, I’ll definitely have to keep this in mind.

  3. shelly peterson says:

    Thank you for sharing this very important information. It’s scarey how dangerous these can be.

  4. Amanda says:

    My husband is a radiologist and they get tons of kids eating these every week. It is really hard to tell the difference between batteries and coins on a scan but is necessary in figuring out the proper care plan. I am glad people are spreading the word about how dangerous it is.

  5. Rachel says:

    That’s awful! Thanks for spreading the word! This is something I never thought about!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *